We did all the math and figured out that I would be able to have three shelves (based on the size of my largest plastic tote) and how high the ceilings are. Based on what the website had said, we figured out what materials we (ok really HE) would need. So while he was doing other things on Sunday, Mom and I went to the store on Sunday and picked up everything.
Then Monday morning I went off to work and left Dad to it.
Materials:
![]() |
| 2x4s |
![]() |
| plywood, I got the good kind that won't give me splinters! |
I didn't take any pictures of my Dad working on the project. He used both of my garbage cans as his "horse" for cutting the wood. He had to go by memory on how the shelves were made but all in all he did a great job. We had talked about having 4 shelves and I was meaning that the floor would be considered a shelf. So in his head he was thinking that he had to make 4 shelves out of the wood which mean that we were short some wood. I'm currently in the process of taking down Christmas decorations so some of the shelves are empty because I have the boxes upstairs but here are pics. Dad put screws into the side to hang my wreaths or whatever else needs to be hung (like duct tape). I didn't have any duct tape and I think he didn't like that because he went out and bought some!In addition to building the shelves, he fixed the light that I busted (pulled the chain out somehow so the light was constantly on, unless I climbed my ladder to unscrew the light!) and added another light over near the shelves. We discussed building more shelves for the other side of that area which would house all the things they have sent down (childhood junk I can't part with).
| New Light |
| Shelves, don't mind the red bag...that's for my tree |
I went out today and bought two more totes for storage since I purchased more items for Christmas decor. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be done putting away Christmas so I will be able to organize over there a little more. Not too sure where I'll be able to stick the tree, if it'll fit under the shelves because there are two pipes hidden underneath.
Dad also cut plywood to put over the hole that's in the floor. He really did it so that he didn't fall into it while he was working but it was a smart idea and will prop stay that way until I move out or decide to splurge and turn the room into a finished room. Not sure if that will ever happen because with a finished room means I lose storage. I went into the attic on the 27th for the first time (I'm putting the actual date so maybe I can remember when I have to change the filter) and while its very big, there isn't much flooring up there. Granted I don't need the storage since I have downstairs and I know if I start shoving things up there I'll have even more junk. I'll just remember that for when I pop out a kid and need to hide presents!
Another thing he did was find a home for my hose when not in use and organize my tool box. Although he isn't too confident in the fact that it's a tool box but I legit purchase it in the tool section of walmart. He claims it's a tackle box but I assure you it's not! I haven't checked out his organization of it yet so I can't rave about it or not!
| Poor Yankees picture hasn't found a home yet |
| Don't really know what that pipe is to anyway! |
So by the end of this summer (yes, I know that is 7 months from now!) I vow to have my "basement"/craft room clean, organized, and useable to my liking! I swear I do work down in there...apparently nobody else can see the work I've done though :o(


No comments:
Post a Comment